My road to becoming a Personal Trainer and wellness coach started out as being an overweight kid who wanted to look better and improve his performance on the basketball court.
At the age of 13 I lost 15 kg but did it in all the wrong ways: not eating enough (starving myself) and doing a bucket load of cardio. Although I lost a lot of ‘weight’ on the scales I still wasn’t entirely happy with my physique.
It wasn’t until the age of 17 that I started weight training and big changes finally began to happen. From then on I have had strong passion for everything training, nutrition and health related which lead me to completing my Bachelors Degree in Exercise and Sports Science in 2013 at Deakin University, Melbourne.
I started Personal Training part time while I was studying at University but soon realised that I wanted to make this my full time career as it never really felt like ‘work’ at all. My passion for training myself naturally lead me onto teaching others how to train, eat and live to optimise how they felt, looked and performed.
After completing my bachelor’s degree I partnered up with my brother and we started our own Personal Training Business called ‘Cosnett Training Systems’ (CTS) located in Frankston, Victoria, Australia. The business expanded quickly and soon enough we had moved to bigger facility with 4 other coaches working underneath us. Within 2 years I had gone from Personal Training part time while at University to running a business employing 5 other staff.
But in the background over the past 4 years, I’ve also had my own little health battle going on. The excessive stress of trying to work too much, study a degree, party too hard on weekends, overtrain, overuse stimulants and under sleep in my early days in my career has lead me to develop some ongoing gut related issues.
Since 2013, I have been continually seeking out professionals to try to improve my gut health and hormonal markers to feel optimal again. This experience has allowed me to gain knowledge in helping others with similar issues including food sensitivities, adrenal fatigue, bloating, excessive fatigue etc.
Given my past experiences and learnings, I am now a firm believer in taking a holistic approach to fat loss, whereby I use no fads or gimmicks – just tried and tested training methods and nutritional philosophies.
I aim to firstly improve someones health by having them change their lifestyle habits which will then enable them to achieve the body they desire long term.
Running my own business for 3 and half years provided me with some invaluable experiences and lessons for which I am forever grateful for.
But for some reason I got an itch to do something different as felt like the big fish in a small pond. Deep down I knew that the only way that I was going to become the best practitioner possible was if I surrounded myself with coaches and practitioners better than me in different areas so I could continually be pushed to learn and develop.
This lead me to Enterprise Fitness.
I am passionate about training and believe a coach should always lead by example and preach what they practice (not the other way round). A formal education and other courses are fantastic and essential but getting in the trenches and training day after day, experimenting with different methodologies and training systems on yourself is one of the best ways to improve as a coach.
Formal qualifications include:
- Bachelor of Exercise and Sports Science, Deakin University: November, 2013
- Diploma of Health Sciences, MIBT, Melbourne 2012
- Certificate III/IV in Fitness: Australian Institue of Personal Trainers, 2012
- Level 1 ASCA Strength and Conditioning Coach: Australian Strength and Conditioning Association, 2015
- Apply First Aid Level 2 Certification: Emergency First Aid Pty, 2013
Other Training, Certifications and Seminars:
- Poliquin Group: Biosignature Modulation Level One Practitioner: March 2013
- Charles Poliquin: Bioprint Level 1 Practitioner: September, 2014
- Enterprise Fitness: How to Train the Female Competitor Program, April 2014
- Enterprise Fitness: Personal Trainer Internship Program: Melbourne, June 2014
- Poliquin Group: PICP Level 1 Strength and Conditioning Coach, March, 2015
- Poliquin Group: PICP Level 2 Strength and Conditioning Specialist, March, 2015
- Canadian Centre for Strength & Conditioning, Andre Benoit’s Hypertrophy Bootcamp, 2015
- Sebastian Oreb’s Strength System Level 1 Seminar, 2015
- Dan Tewson’s How to Train the Fight Athlete (Tewson Performance), 2015
- Clean Health Fitness Institute: iNutrition Pro Level 1 and 2 Certification, 2016
- Luke Leaman’s Muscle Nerds Level 1 Certification, 2016
- Luke Leaman’s Muscle Nerds Level 2 Certification, 2016
- Duane Alley’s NLP Coaching for Personal Trainers, 2017
- Tony Doherty’s Relentless Momentum, (1 day) 2017
- Christian Thibaudeau’s Neurological Profiling and Program Design, 2017
- Daine McDonald: Blood Chemistry Testing for Personal Trainers, 2017
- Dr Daniel Baker’s Periodisation For Strength and Power Sports, 2017
- Andrew Lock’s Intensive Lumbar Spine and Rehab Course, 2017